Tuesday, May 19, 2015

How Did I End Up Doing The Work That I'm Doing

How did you end up doing the work that you're doing?

How did I end up doing the work that I'm doing. It's hard for me to give short answers because I think my entire life is tied up in the work that I am doing now. It began from the time I was a child and was trying to make sense of my sister's illness within the confines of my child-mind and growing heart. Looking back, I was always curious about others who lived differently than me, from a really young age. As just a kid, I remember what it felt like to be working at my grandfather's hospice and being able to be useful to people who lost their sense of sight. I found a place for myself there and also in the world.

Then, working alongside 'at-risk' youth and in nursing homes in college- well, I learned very young that 'different' doesn't mean we have to be afraid nor impatient. I was drawn to these situations: living outside my comfort zone...and actually, just being there for people. It was all about finding a place where my strengths and personality could meet the other person's strengths and personality- though very different.  

Jumping a few years ahead, I felt drawn to joining the Peace Corps and the 2.5 years I spent in El Salvador changed the way I saw the world and helped wake me up to what I needed to do. It helped me break down (or start to break down) a lot of walls I had built up unknowingly. I felt freed, in a way. From this new place, I changed the way I made decisions- choosing my heart to lead and my head to follow from there forth. 

After El Salvador, I decided I needed to understand more about how we heal and grow as individuals, so I pursued studies in holistic health and healing academically, professionally and also spiritually. Some of that included spending time in an Indian-inspired yoga ashram in Thailand. I was there when I received notification that I was awarded a full scholarship to study at the UN Univ. for Peace in Costa Rica where I came to pursue a Masters in Environment, Development and Peace.

And so here I find myself today. Reflecting on how I go to be doing the work that I'm doing. And I realize that I have always been doing this work.

After all, what is work, but one's purpose on this planet.

We are given gifts- each and everyone of us and I truly believe that. These gifts come in different forms and some of us come to unwrap them at different times. Some of us come to share them at different times. They're always there. 

These gifts are our strengths and our personalities. Some of us can sing and bring joy to peoples ears and elicit emotions that are ready to be expressed. Some are patient and can just sit there beside us and bring us a sense of calm. 

We unwrap these gifts throughout our life and it is our duty to share them. 

This is how I come to do this work.

Tearing the paper, the wrapping down and saying yes to all that I was given. 
No more shying away. No more saying not good enough. Not profitable. No place in society. 
I'm doing the work that I have always been doing, that I am called to do, that I am most suitable to do.

I just need to keep unwrapping. All that tries to keep me in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment